Sunday, 6 July 2014

Figure drawing

So yesterday I went to my 2nd (should have been 3rd but the contemporary art one was cancelled) summer course which was figure drawing!

I turned up and felt instantly out of place as everyone was setting up easels (i never used one before) and saw some pictures that they were flicking through to get to there spare paper and what art!

First we had two mins do draw a quick pose, then another 2 mins for another pose- had three in total but I felt rushed as never quick draw before and didnt really know where to start first!! Realised its only the body and not much detail for those types of drawing- we looked around the groups work and I did feel abit embarrassed with my work- nothing compared to the others )but they were all nice and liked my drawings) Then we had a long pose which I felt much more relaxed about.

The tutor then demonstrated how he would draw (angels, in line with the subject and techniques using the pencil or charcoal)

Quick break then onto the next model- a lady (last one was a guy) and she was naked :S again quick pose drawings then two long poses- one sitting and one lying down (lying down was harder) but I used charcoal as felt wanted to broaden my skills and actually prefer it now :)

Tutor said for a beginner I done very well and have come along since the morning :) and learnt that the others all been to previous classes and have time to practise.

I learnt alot from the course about proportions and not drawing what is not there- look more at the figure than the paper and many other things. I also learnt more about my own drawing skills about what areas I need to work on (nose, hands, feet) as I draw more cartoon than actual human so yesterday was a real challenge!

Here are some pictures (Warning few are nude) and linking up with Sunday Sketches :)








5 comments:

  1. Great job at your first 'figure drawing' ~ I remember my first and felt like you did ~ but it worked out okay ~ Happy Week to you ~ thanks, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful sketches in very good taste I might add!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've done great. I admire that you went out and tried a class.You should be very proud. Happy SS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeeek ! Life drawing was incredibly traumatic for me, lol, nothing more dispiriting than seeing the glorious shape of man or woman botched to hell by one's own hand! I think it's one of the few art classes i took that i walked out of in frustration (the whole nude thing is culture shock as well) good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. many thanks for popping by guys and the lovely comments! i am quite happy with the work and hope to go to a more beginners one soon :) xx

    ReplyDelete