Monday, 21 July 2014

Ribena cake and oat bites....

This week on the baking front has been a challenging one! First off I made banana, choc chip oat bites that I found on pinterest- went down well and a good way of using up very ripe bananas :)



Then we went to a family bbq yesterday and so Saturday evening I made a cake that I havnt attempted since I was 14 (and they were fairy cake versions) - Ribena cake :P

Now I know what your thinking- ribena??? But its only blackcurrent flavouring and makes the cake light purple (or if icing then pink). My dad always talks about the cake even though I have baked many things he still favours that cake! It was my first ever cake and we wanted it purple and did not have any food colouring so put in a cup of ribena :P everyone looked at me and my mate oddly but the cake was moist and a hint of blackcurrent went down a treat.

So decided to recreate that cake- and what a challenge!! When put it in the mixture it turned a lovely colour and smelt lovely- but as the drink is sticky it made the cake super sticky and when cooling on the rack it stuck to it so the top broke! 

Then making the icing added the ribena making the mix runny so had to add more icing sugar! 

Here it is:

Very heavy but very light and moist.

Happy handmade monday- go check out other crafty people: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.co.uk/





4 comments:

  1. Oh, yum, it looks and sounds soooo good. Certainly sounds challenging making it. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of using Ribena before but it does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my best cakes are what we call 'slung together' cakes! Will have to pinch the idea of using Ribena as it certainly looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete