Sunday, 7 December 2014

A week thats been....

Interesting!

The household has been hit with a virus :( slowly on the mend but how odd after finishing Mr Virus my latest knitting project (see post here: ) but here he is at his new home:


Also Mr penicillin the 2nd is now at this new home :P

Have made a good start on Jess elf hat- about halfway through now I think:



Other news

Yesterday was small business Saturday (post about it here:) and I went to 4 fairs! Originally wanted to go to 2 but the other two wasnt that far from the originals so thought why not! Two I went to last year -one to see if one had improved- it didnt and one because my dad was playing there with his yardarm. The other two I saw advertised when I went to a fair last week- the church wasnt bad but no room to set up proper stalls as they were selling from the booths- plus was like the first fair (another church) and was more of a tombola, raffle type fair (the other church was more like a car boot sale- but it was a few mins walk away)

The main ones were in my old town where my dad was playing and the centre where I went to the other fair last week.

The market one where my dad was playing, there were two knitting stalls this year compared to last year! first stall was from the actual knitting shop round the corner from the fair (and my dad knows the lady- introduced me and said might have competition next year eek bit :S) the other stall was more lace scarf and broaches- one was inside the other an outside stall (extra £5 if want to set up inside) was busy and lots of handmade items which was nice to see.

Next is the centre- pure handmade and vintage and this time it was two floors of stalls!! quite alot there and two knitting stalls (one slippers, one variety of clothing) was very impressed with this fair as very busy, clearly labelled so not to miss upstairs and a range of crafts.

I grabbed a few business cards from the two main ones (church ones had none) and from the selection only three had links to pages or online shops- rest just emails which wasnt to happy with as a potential customer i want to have a look at other makes from your stall hence why grabbed a card!

Learnt few things from fairs from last year and this year:


  1. Dont clutter the stall as I will just pass by because my eyes darting around everywhere I cant take it all in so i move on
  2. If the person behind stall doesn't engage or at least look to acknowledge im there
  3. Business cards and prices are on display (I dont want to be searching for a price)


Looking back to last years posts I feel even more determined to start knitting for fairs- and so starting to read my books again :P hopefully this time next year I will be writing about my first fair (next year will be pretty busy with hopefully moving, work etc)..... Just need to get over the my craft isnt as good as others/no one will buy anything thinking!

Now to get a move on with the oxo box competition! Thanks for reading and will be linking up with Handmade Monday.

x







16 comments:

  1. Fairs can be so hit and miss, I so agree with you about the cluttered tables or no business cards.
    I hope your all feeling better soon.
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou we all finally on the mend after a tough week :) x

      Delete
  2. I wish you the very best with your fair booths. I love the colors for the elf hat. I'm sure your little one is absolutely adore it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! just finished it so look forward to showing it in next blog :) she loves the big pom pom x

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of noting as a customer what you do and don't like at a fair ready for when you have your own stall - such a sensible idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers did feel odd going from a customer to potential stall holder brain- so many nice things kept putting my business brain off lol x

      Delete
  4. Fairs can be good and bad, my local village one last week was brilliant the one in a town yesterday was dire and lost the will to live half way through the day. The only way to really know is visit and maybe give it a go but be brave enough to walk away if does not work, no rebooking just in case. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always good to check out a few fairs first (I've definitely learnt the hard way) I'm glad you want to do a fair with your amazing knitting, and I'll help anyway I can - one huge bonus of my house move earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tis the season to be joll.... Sick, So many virus about! I am still searching for the perfect craft fair but it's quite a fun way to spend time - good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From looks of it dont think there is a perfect fair :S yep alot of it going around x

      Delete
  7. Knitting used for educational purposes?! I'm in heaven! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know right.. wondering what could be the next science knit :D

      Delete
  8. Ooo fantastic fair advice! I just love the little knits you do! Mr Virus looks suitably virusy! Perfect! I bet the kids learn so much from them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. many thanks hun :) they think its odd lol but the fellow teachers love them and yep both learn from them hehe :P

      Delete