Saturday, 7 December 2013

Craft fairs

So when I started to think about my knitting business I want to start off by selling at craft fairs/markets/shows.

I so far have been to 5 in my area and only 3 have been good (ish) as potential fairs for my stall- one did have a knitting stall but only few items on display but it made me think of stock and pricing.

Today I went to my 5th one and found it was one of the good ones :) it had stalls outside and inside, mostly all handmade things (some fairs I have been to just had mass produced stuff) and I saw two sewing stalls (one had few knitting things, by few I mean two types of items and only three of each) it was crammed inside too.

Also they all looked unfriendly and no business cards either.... stalls were arranged ok but cluttered and too much to look at (will take this all on board)

I enquired about pricing of stalls to find outside its £15 and inside its £25 - I think if had a stall there I would go outside as there would be fewer stalls and would be the first to be seen in a sense, and more space! It has got me thinking about location of the stall at a fair.

I do like this research stage and look forward to doing my first fair! Im sure my boos will cover more but what I have learnt so far:

- Have plenty of stock
- Get the pricing right
- Get the stall set up right
- Have business cards and order forms (for if they want custom made items)

Any other tips for a newbie? Please share!

Many thanks

x



2 comments:

  1. Hiya as a new seller at craft fairs outside this is what I've learnt so far.

    Get yourself a good quality pop up gazebo so much easier than the ones you build, I got mine from Homebase. Everything gets damp in the weather we've been having lately, even under cover, so ensure you dry all stock properly when you get home before packing away for next event. Warm clothes, tea or coffee in a flask and lots of coinage in your float.

    I was told by several people I was under priced, hence why not covering costs, I took their advice on board and my sales have improved greatly.

    Good luck, it's hard work but very satisfying x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh many thanks for the advise :) x

    ReplyDelete