Hello
What a week- now off for the holidays and already had an exam (failed by one mark) and have three exams during next month to take :( so have been revising up till today as starting to feel abit unwell (and jess has few spots so keeping an eye on her and off drs tomorrow I think) but during all this I have actually been knitting again as it helps me relax!
I have been thinking of things and done abit of research into... CRAFT FAIRS! To me, when I think of fairs I think xmas- as that is when I normally go to them. I always had a vision that when I do set up I can see it being wintertime, xmas themed stalls next to me, my stall decorated to this theme and im sitting there with a hot choc...... So when I looked at what events are out there around xmas time there is one I really like the look of- its on the 5th December and will need to let them know by 30th October if interested. This gives me enough time to see if I will have much stock to take :) but they require insurance and so I looked up quotes- one is popular with craft businesses but not sure if:
1) They cover for clothing as what I will be selling are hopefully bibs and xmas hats
2) Im in (and when move will still be) rented property, so need to see if can use the address on the insurance.....
3) Will it be worth it if only selling during winter (unless test tutus and can sell in summer also..)
So need to keep researching this and tbh its all abit scary (please tell me this feeling passes)
Yep ontop of all this we are looking to move! but way I see it by December three exams will be done and would have moved house so only level 2 bsl that I will be doing (and I like to multi-task) plus im not going to put any pressure on my knitting as if dont have enough then will sell online :)
Thought xmas things are a good start off point and a good deadline to work to. It is also a nice time to "launch" my business as such...
So alot in my head and its good to write it all out! :D
Anyway here is a picture of my first bit of stock- a newborn candy cane hat (or will be once finished) as last year my elf hat had some good feedback so will expand on this :) didnt take long to knit either so I know my speed has improved in past two or so years.
So that is the plan -now off to look at other crafter's blogs and see what been up to :)
Thanks for reading
x


Ooo, exciting plans lay ahead for you!
ReplyDeleteCraft fairs can be really difficult to make any real money at, I've not done one for years but I gather from other bloggers it can be pretty tough. Having said that, sometimes right place, right time, right products you never know. You also never know what contacts you might make. I once had someone with a shop approach me to stock my items, even though I barely sold a thing at the fair.
All I can say is good luck (and the hat is going to be super cute!)
Many thanks hun defo never know what could happen! cheers just need to sew it up now and start on the next one :P
DeleteSome times, I think trying to FIND craft fairs to book is the biggest chore! Luckily, there are 2 good ones in Nov that I've been doing for over a decade, so they're pretty much a given. - The larger one was actually doing its bookings in MAY! - However, I've been trying to expand "out-of-season" more this year... But most are difficult to get to or already booked by the time I hear about them! I did a spring one that had a nice venue, plenty of people, great table rate... I only made $10.! And, after spending months "prepping" for it! - Lucky for Them that I enjoy "making" ALL year round!!
ReplyDeleteAnyhoo, can't wait to see the finished hat!
:-D
I just think be good experience as for years now I have wanted to do a fair- i too enjoy the making process so hopefully not all will be lost if dont work out :) thanks hun xx
DeleteGood luck with ay craft fair, you will need insurance and tbh worth it. Even though you think safe any slight problem and you could be in trouble. If you are not selling (ie people coming to your door) rented should be fine but let them know. It may be worth trying the market assoc as they are used to dealing with a wider scope of items to sell.
ReplyDeleteI now only do from Sept to Nov fairs, any earlier have found no good apart from just before Easter. Fairs are hard work but can be good for networking and picking up customers who may go to your website later. Have plenty of business cards ready and smile.
Thanks hun will check it out. That will be the next thing to do- cards! I do have doubts as to the first year prob wont take much as pay for insurance and cards and set up and the stall etc but in long run can see it hopefully working out :) :S lol
DeleteHopefully I will join you at that fair - we can share that hot choc!
ReplyDeleteCraft fairs are an interesting one, personally not had much luck at selling but I know others who have:) I think a good display is key, something I have not yet mastered! Good luck with the exams and all your research.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks hun- Will give it a go I think and see what happens :)
DeleteThis is the cutest little hat you are knitting. The colors will be perfect for Christmas. And, I loved reading about your plans for the fairs. I wish you a wonderful week.
ReplyDeleteThanks hun that means alot :D hopefully this will finally be the year xxxxx
Delete