I have loved knitting since my nan taught me when I was little (I can still remember going round my nans, sitting on the big sofa knitting just one square while she knitted lots) together we knitted a big patchwork blanket that now covers my chair in the study :)
We then started to make one for my mum after going back to knitting after college/uni got in the way but sadly nan passed away before we could finish it. It sat in the loft for abit then I fell pregnant. A friend of my mum knitted her a cute cardi and I thought I could give it a try while I had some time so I attempted a jacket and loved the results! I then remembered the blanket and thought I would finish it off for mothers day (was a rush but I done it with few hours to spare!) and from then my love of knitting was back.
So how did the business idea come about? It was back in April when I found Lets Knit magazine as I was stuck for ideas and found sydney owl pattern (see past projects page) and thought I should give it a try- it took ages as I read the pattern wrong but end result was good! I posted it on facebook and many people wanted one- even a friend said I should start a business and it got me thinking. I then found out I couldnt sell the owl due to copyright but wondered what other things I could knit and sell- my own creations! Turn my hobby into a business! Brilliant! :P As someone once said- "dont be afraid to dream" - well it will be an experience to look back on in twenty years time ;)
I made a list of projects to knit to see if I could do them and for practise - most were things for jess and found that I would want to make things for babys/toddlers but will have few things for adults that are quick to knit. Had some lovely responses to my knitting album on facebook which boosts my confidence :)
What I done next.....
I found craftsforum.co.uk and joined- such a brilliant forum with lots of fellow crafters! There is a board purely on setting up a craft business which I gained lots of information, very useful and got lots of tips!
I looked on the internet for possible names to see if they were taken and wrote a list of ones I liked that wasnt taken. I then made a survey for people to answer (what products they would be interested in etc) as I started researching for my craft business and I also looked at a few etsy shops and craft fairs to see what competition is out there and how they do it. That is how the name Justjennywren came about as this was the popular name choice from the survey :)
So thats the basic story of how the idea came about and what I have done next. At the moment I want to sell at craft fairs then see how it goes- and to build stock so the products become second nature as the quickness at producing them will be helpful to when I do start to sell online.
AIM= To sell at my first craft fair either end of next year or the year after!
There will be more future posts on research, what ive done so far, reading material, my craft room, my WIP projects etc....
Many thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment