Not done much crafting since last post so sorry for the quite blog- but have a few posts in the making so keep an eye out :P
One of my new year resolutions is to try out some more crafts such as mosaics, pottery, clay modeling etc.... This morning I can tick off one of them already!
I went to the college for my "throw a pot" session that I booked up as an xmas prezzie to myself :) it was messy fun! Never seen a potters wheel or seen one in action in real life apart from on tv (yes I watched Great Pottery Throwdown before xmas- did you?) so it was interesting seeing it in action.
There were a total of 10 people on the session so we split into 2 groups as there were only 5 wheels- I was the group that used the wheel first (only had 20min) so teacher demonstrates how to use it and the three steps involved as a whole group then left us to it! :s
Here was my wheel:
We made up three balls of clay each (cut them in a block with a wire then pat them into balls) then we used the wheel- we threw them into the centre so it sticks to the wheel (check that it has as the first time I done it I thought it stuck but when I turned the wheel on it spun off) :P
First step is centring so your flattening it out abit then stage two is to create the hole while steadying with other hand then last stage was to get the height and thin out. It was really hard and had to put all your weight into it! These were my first attempts (one is too thick so will split in the kiln) they are smaller then everyone elses- two people had big milk type jugs and a pot to put plants in so felt abit embarrassed with mine.... and taking them off the wheel was tricky!
So cleaned the wheel and went to the other side to attempt the pulling technique for handles (this I found much easier) made the clay into a sausage then drag hand down to create length while keep on wetting it. Then it was back to the wheel for a second time- this time I felt it went much better and my last bowl I went abit creative as ran out of time to make a plate so went for an odd bowl.
If it goes wrong on the wheel you have to restart again and that takes time as have to clean the centre or will ruin the next bit of clay that goes on
In total I think I used 7 balls of clay for only three finished pots!
Last 10/5mins we used slip- felt abit rushed so just done spots and messy type design!
We get to pick them up in two weeks :) hope the handle holds on :S
The course was good but not long enough (2 and a half hours was to quick) and could have demo twice instead of just once- also could have spent more time going round to everyone and helping them out or checking if all ok as first time doing it (It was a beginners session) wasnt sure if thick enough and especially when people next to you are getting it :s or you forgotten what to do next....
Happy I done it though and its another craft I can say I dabbled in (will stick to air drying clay models- thats next and seems easier) But throwing a pot is harder then it looks and my back is killing me!
Here are my finished pots:
My favourite is this one:
Linking up with Handmade Monday :) Thanks for reading! xx









Well done you. I would love to do a pottery class but can imagine my clay would fly off! Sounds like the class was a bit over subscribed and the teacher couldn't get around to you all. I watched the G.B.P show and was impressed with everyones makes. Next time they should have absolute beginers who have never touched clay before!
ReplyDeleteAgree as did make me feel abit silly and would have loved some more help x
DeleteThis looks like so much fun. I love your pots; great job! Wishing you a great weekend, Pat
ReplyDeleteThanks hun xx
DeleteHow exciting! Well done you xxx Your pots have turned out very well if you ask me xxx
ReplyDeleteThankyou- maybe next time they might be bigger :P xx
Deletenice work, great trying something new, I don't do that often enough.
ReplyDeleteAlways good as gives you a break from your main craft :) x
DeleteAlways good to learn new things 2016 must be the year. Did pottery at college then progressed to ceramics, had my own kiln years ago but got too cold in the garage, lol
ReplyDeleteooh thats brill its lots of fun- shame about your kiln tho x
Delete